Sunday, March 9, 2008

My favorites...

If you don't have a bread machine, you should invest in one. Gluten-free bread that is already made (frozen or not) is just pretty much inedible. I DO love to use the loaf of Ener-G Rice bread for bread crumbs, though. I just crumble it up (either by hand or in a food processor). But, my favorite Rice bread is Gluten-Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich Bread. If you can buy a 2lb loaf bread machine, you can make this all at once (and I've found that separating the loaf into thirds and freezing 2/3 of the loaf at a time, I can get the max out of the loaf without it getting moldy).

I love Tinkyada's pasta products, but I've also gotten into Mrs. Leeper's "rainbow" rotini pasta, as well. I like to use the rotini when I'm making something like tuna noodle casserole, or something of that nature. And Mrs. Leepers also makes a line of "boxed pasta dinner" options (you know, like the Hamburger Helper). We've tried the Lasagna version and that's pretty good! I haven't given the other ones a try yet, mostly because I like to stay away from the higher sodium contents in boxed meals like that and I make more things from scratch.

My daughter loves pizza and that was one thing I've really struggled with making sure we can keep as an option. I tried making my own with different dough mixes and "from scratch" recipes. So far, the only good pizza we've found that we can make at home is Amy's Rice crust frozen pizza in our grocery's freezer section. If you follow that link, scroll down about half way. My daughter prefers the Spinach pizza rather than the cheese pizza, but I've tried both and they are both very good. The Spinach pizza actually is dairy-free as well.

For now, those are some of my favorite brands/products for meals.

2 comments:

Amy C. said...

I have really been enjoying your blog since discovering it yesterday. We have been gluten free for just over six months. I just wanted to say that we enjoy the Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix. We had tried a couple others but like the flavor of this one. They all have been a little blander, but can be made more flavorful by adding a little garlic and onion powder and/or italian seasoning. Thanks for taking the time to compile ALL this info!

T.M. said...

Thanks, Amy! This blog is my way of putting all our favorites in one place (I can make some meals when we are out of town without having to bring all my recipe cards). I also thought it would be a great place to offer some easy recipes to others who are newer (or even people who have been following the diet, but are just looking to get out of a rut). I'm glad you have found it helpful!